The Pixley house, a distinctive Queen Anne Victorian designed by well-known architect William Weeks, was built in 1900 for Dr. Clarence Weaver to serve as his residence and dental office. It still includes the two front doors that distinguish its original dual use. The East door marked the entrance to Dr. Weaver’s reception area which was warmed by a white marble fireplace. Beyond was Dr. Weaver’s treatment room and laboratory. Through the right entrance, Dr. Weaver welcomed personal guests into a hall and then high-ceilinged living room with brightly polished wood floors and fireplace. The front room opened into a dining area and then kitchen, which was located at the back of the house. The upstairs contained four bedrooms and one large bathroom. City records indicate that the City Assessor placed a $300 value on the lot, $1,600 on the structure, $50 on a horse and wagon, and $200 on Dr. Weaver’s instruments.
Dr. Weaver left the community to relocate to Alameda and sold the house to the George and Josephine Tremaine Family. Previously of San Juan Bautista where they were engaged in agriculture, the Tremaines came to Gilroy and became involved in the Gilroy Flour Mill, which became known as the Franklin Tremaine Mills. Though George Tremaine passed away in 1938, the family retained ownership until the 1960’s, after which the house fell into disrepair.
In 1976, the house was condemned. Though offered to the City of Gilroy for $25,000, the City Council declined investing in its preservation. In 1978, the Mussallem Development Corporation bought the property for office use and commissioned Macrovictorian and Bruce Nyberg to restore it. Upon application by Mussallem, the house was designated as a historical building by Gilroy’s City Council and in 1980 the Santa Clara County Historical Heritage Commission recognized Mussallem for Excellence in Historical Preservation.
Shauna (Pixley) Lynch located her business, Shauna Lynch Design, in the restored Victorian in 1986. Seven years later, in 1993, she and her husband, Scott, bought the building from Mussallem and began a new era of renovation. The building is named in honor of Shauna and their daughter, Abigail Pixley Lynch.